Web design mistakes are something common while designing a website. These mistakes may not harm your website to a great extent always, but you can definitely avoid them to keep things clean for your website. I did a research today to find some mistakes all around the web and composed the list of mistakes in a single article. These mistakes can sometimes be called suggestions to improve your site design quality. I’ve also found some modern mistakes in this article.
Here is the list of more than 50 of them I found. These include some mistakes, suggestions, and improvements ( However you consider them )
- 1 1. Avoid too much of media –
- 2 2. Don’t use small font size –
- 3 3. Avoid drop down menus –
- 4 4. Avoid using similar colors for the font and background –
- 5 5. Avoid cluttered and scrambled content or design –
- 6 6. Do not use fancy font styles –
- 7 7. Poor navigation system –
- 8 8. Highlight important elements on a website –
- 9 9. Avoid using the same colors for text and links –
- 10 10. Create a Cross-browser compatible Website –
- 11 11. Avoid too much of scripts in the website –
- 12 12. Don’t misuse your flash –
- 13 13. Avoid unnecessary coloring your text –
- 14 14. Use meaningful anchor text for your links always –
- 15 15. Let user choose where to go –
- 16 16. Avoid boring and lengthy texts/contents/page –
- 17 17. Don’t hide your links or text –
- 18 18. Avoid unnecessary popups –
1. Avoid too much of media –
- Media can be anything ranging from images(.jpg, .gif, .png, etc), flash contents(.swf), music(.mp3), videos. Using too much of media can definitely annoy the user if they use a low speed internet connection. The graphics used in the website should be very light weight and minimal. Keep the design simple yet beautiful. If your website is a music website, split the pages.
2. Don’t use small font size –
The users visiting your website should be able to read your contents easily. Don’t use tiny font size for your website. All users will not have a strong eye sight as yours. Bounce rate of your website might increase if you don’t follow this step.
This is one of the most common mistakes done by many web designers. Designers, think that using a cool multi-level drop down menu or navigation can give the website a professional look. But, believe me most of the web users get confused when they see a list of large drop downs. Keep the menus listed all at one place, I should prefer you to put everything on the header portion or top sidebars region.
4. Avoid using similar colors for the font and background –
The users just don’t love this, using similar colors for the fonts as your background will not only make the readers difficult to read the content but also would make them leave the website very soon and search elsewhere. Use a contrasting font color always as opposed to the background. I suggest you to use, white background and a black font color.
5. Avoid cluttered and scrambled content or design –
A person visiting your website for the first time should on a first glance need to know what the content is about and how things are arranged. We are speaking about the arrangement in general. Don’t mix up and make things messy for the users. Keep the design clean, user friendly and accessible to the users. Give space between two elements, if there are important elements.
6. Do not use fancy font styles –
I’ve seen people getting some confusing font styles loaded from Google fonts API and using them for their contents, making things unreadable on the website. People visit the website for content and only content. If they are unable to make sense of the content on your website, they would never turn back to your website. Keep your font style simple.
This is again one of the common mistake by web designers. This is related to the point number 3. Avoid creating confusing navigation touch points for your blog or website, rather create a simple and user friendly navigation. Keeping all your navigation touch points accessible from your home page is rather a great way of design skill. This not only enhances the visit length of the audience visiting the website, but also helps in SEO of the overall content.
8. Highlight important elements on a website –
This applies to sites which are product and service oriented. Hiding the important element like button to buy the product, can lead to confusion for the potential buyers and customers. Never bury your important buttons and media into large amount of texts. The user should know instantly, what he is looking for without making them think and pause, they will leave the site.
Many of your important links would never be clicked if you do this. Let the users know that there are links in your content by contrasting the links from the normal texts. You are indirectly helping some amount of SEO to the website here.
10. Create a Cross-browser compatible Website –
Many designers, do not check the website compatibility on different browsers. Especially, the older ones. Designers are overwhelmed by new web technology features and design the website with the latest coding techniques. But, remember your website is targeted not just to the web designer community who is having the latest browsers, but targeted to audience who are very lazy to update their browsers. I suggest you to check for IE compatibility always.
11. Avoid too much of scripts in the website –
12. Don’t misuse your flash –
Avoid heavy usage of flash on your website, which can slow down the website loading time. And using confusing flash elements on your site can leave the users annoyed.
13. Avoid unnecessary coloring your text –
Avoid using bright and unnecessary colors behind your text thinking that you are highlighting the text. If you want to highlight the text, use dark colors as background with light colors as the text color. Remember the contrast mantra.
Anchor texts for texts used to glue to links(urls). Don’t use something like “click here” as anchor text for the links, but use meaningful anchor texts.
15. Let user choose where to go –
Avoid forcing the users to land on a page to make them read something about you or your website, or forcing them to get redirected to some other webpage(maybe an affiliate link). Avoid adding an intermediate page like an advertisement page before taking the user to the original content page.
16. Avoid boring and lengthy texts/contents/page –
This may not be mistake, but many prefer to write lengthy text contents with no images to sell their products. Suggest you to use bullet points and small paragraphs to describe your useful contents. If your site is a product marketing page, then you should definitely try using images and bullet points to describe the contents.
Hiding links or text is a form of spam, even Google and most of the other search engines don’t like sites where the pages contain hidden text and links to increase their page level SEO for more traffic. This is against the guidelines of a professional designer.
18. Avoid unnecessary popups –
This can be for your Facebook fan page, a welcome message or a RSS subscription request. You will annoy the users by forcing them to see something which they were not expecting. Allow them to do what they want to do on your website.